External resources about entities and topics and related SEO
Below are links to external resources about Entity SEO. If you are looking for information about Entity SEO and some guidance, follow this link.
- Surfacing unique facts for entities: by Akash Nanavati, Aniket Ray, Torsten Rohlfing. Newish patent.
- Ranking search results based on entity metrics: a global one by Hongda Shen, David Francois HUYNH, Grace Chung, Chen Zhou, Yanlai HUANG, Guanghua Li.
- Onsite and offsite search ranking results: by Sundeep Tirumalareddy, Trystan G. Upstill. Entities are called “web objects” here (assumption).
- Clustering search results: by Jilin Chen, Peng Dai, Lichan Hong, Tianjiao Zhang, Huazhong Ning, Ed Huai-Hsin Chi. An improved system for presenting search results based on entity associations of the search items. In articles by Bill Slawski below, you’ll find his detailed explanation of the patent.
- ReNoun: Fact Extraction for Nominal Attributes by Steven Euijong Whang, Rahul Gupta, Alon Halev from Google Research and Mohamed Yahya from Max Planck Institute for Informatics.
Articles by Bill Slawski
- Ranked Entities in Search Results at Google in June 29, 2020.
- Clustering Entities in Google SERPs Updated in Jan 12, 2022.
- Entity Extractions for Knowledge Graphs at Google in Feb 15, 2019.
- How the Google Knowledge Graph Updates Itself by Answering Questions in October 29, 2018.
- Entity Optimization: How I Came to Love Entities in October 22, 2014.
- Nobody Told You How To Do Entity SEO. This video was initially recommended by Daniel Cuttridge if I remember correctly. And if there’s only one thing you watch about entity based search, then it should be this one. It’s comprehensive, concise, good for beginners, nice to watch for advanced users just because it’s well structured and worded. Features Michael King of iPullRank, Ruth Burr Reedy of UpBuild, and Cindy Krum of MobileMoxie. The video specifically covers:
- What is entity SEO?
- How can you use it in your day-to-day practice?
- How do you create an entity?
- How can you actually optimize your entities?
- What specific tactics are working?
- Entity Identity Creation and Management SEO Case Study – How to Change Google’s Perception? by Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR
What Googlers said
- Mentions are picked up, but they are not links. They are used for
entity determination. By Gary Ilyes on Reddit in 2019 TechSEO AMA.
- Mapping entities in text with sameAs property to public knowledge databases is likely used by Google to better understand the topics on the page and if those match with user’s query. Same source as above and the same person.